Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Whole30 - Day 22

I realized yesterday after posting that I forgot to mention that I got on the treadmill again yesterday. I warmed up until the treadmill read a half mile and then I ran (slowly) until 1 mile...then I walked again until the show I was watching was over for a total of 45 minutes. I just compared my stats from the last time I did this and my max heart rate was 1 bpm lower (a good thing) and my speed for the entire 45 minutes was faster. Awesome!

This is only about the 3rd time I've exercised during this Whole30 so keep that in mind when I start talking results. I'm hoping to get back into the habit of more consistent activity starting this week though.

I've been a little crabby this evening. I think that's because I really didn't care for dinner and now I'm feeling hungry. I'll probably have a little snack when I'm done writing this.

Here's today....

Breakfast
Breakfast was out again this morning (yes, I eat breakfast out a lot). I changed it up today and got a scrambler with sausage, onions and green peppers with a side of fruit.

Mary had a different breakfast this morning. I made her a couple hot dogs and sliced an apple. Robbie still had his sausage and I made Drew another scrambler, but this time I diced up one of the leftover stuffed peppers and put that in his scrambler.

Lunch
I had a dentist appointment today at noon (duh! Why would I make it then?). My dentist is now right next to Giant Eagle so I thought I'd just stop after my appointment and get a nice salad. However, when I got there I realized that I'd probably pay less for a whole rotisserie chicken than a salad so I bought that (as well as some more grapes and strawberries since we were out). Of course today I noticed the ingredient list on the rotisserie chicken. Yea, it's not 100% compliant. Oh well. I don't care that much. It's still a whole, unprocessed food and I take (most) of the skin off so I'm sure most of the bad stuff is in the skin anyway. I'm really not worried about it. It certainly isn't going to stop me from eating the leftovers!
I ended up eating some chicken, raw veggies with guac and grapes.

Dinner
I made this recipe of Jerk inspired Pork Chops. I paired it with prosciutto wrapped asparagus and some plain asparagus. The kids then added applesauce to their plates because the pork was REALLY spicy. I didn't think it would be that spicy but it was. And, I didn't care for it at all. I don't like pork chops. It doesn't seem to matter if they're bone in or boneless. I always overcook them and then they are dry and chewy. I can cook pork tenderloin or pork loin just fine, but can't seem to do chops.


This recipe was relatively easy though, which is always nice.
Robbie wanted me to take a pic of his plate. 

The Lowdown
I told Drew tonight that I still feel like my days go by so quickly and I seem to get nothing done. Every day I am spending a lot of time straightening my kitchen (doing dishes, putting clean dishes away, etc) and prepping food, that I feel like I barely have time to do anything else. It's not really true. I'm not being as efficient as I could be, but still. This definitely takes a LOT of prep and a LOT of planning. As much as I'm a planner it's even a bit much for me. I start making my menu plan and grocery list days before my scheduled grocery trip.

This way of eating has also been VERY expensive for us. I was hoping it wouldn't be that bad when you take into account how much we usually spend between groceries and eating out, but it is that bad. We are already about $200 over what we usually spend in a month (on both groceries and eating out) and I have at least 1 more big grocery trip ahead of me. To be fair, some of those things were pantry staples that are expensive (like oils, ghee, spices, etc). And, I had to get dog food this month, but that's only about $25.

We're pretty much in the home stretch now. 8 days remain and then I need to figure out how to feed myself and my family in a way which will keep us all healthy, help me lose weight and not make it so that I have to go back to work in order to afford groceries! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment