Sunday, May 11, 2014

Whole30-Day 19

Well, we did it! We made it through the baseball game being Whole30 compliant even though we weren't allowed to bring in our own food and drink. Really, it wasn't that hard, but it certainly ticked me off anticipating it. I'm telling you it doesn't help that I'm premenstrual. I guess eating clean hasn't helped my PMS at all ;-P.

Here's what Saturday looked like:

Breakfast
I woke up Saturday around 7 so I could head to Petittie's to take advantage of their buy 1 get 1 hanging basket sale. It was about 8 when I got home and Robbie had a soccer game at 9. I made some sausage for the kids but didn't really have time to eat. I grabbed a Larabar and a couple pieces of bacon from the fridge and that was my breakfast. Mary had her game at 11 so we came home in between and I had a small bowl of chicken salad to tide me over until lunch. Kind of a hodgepodge of breakfast, but it worked.

Lunch
Mary made herself some egg salad with fruit and cucumbers while I made Robbie his turkey roll-ups with fruit and carrots and celery. I them made myself a nice salad with strawberries, grapes, chicken, almonds and cut up prunes (I prefer to call them dried plums...doesn't sound as gross as prunes). Drew was still asleep since he spent the whole night awake at the Relay for Life. When he eventually woke up he made himself some sausages with leftover Brussels sprouts.

Dinner
As many of you know, we went to a Lake County Captains game tonight to celebrate Robbie's reading program at school. I had a plan to bring our own food until I saw on the website that bringing in your own stuff was not allowed. Great. Needless to say I was not happy. But, in the end, it was totally fine. I smuggled in 2 apples, 2 larabars, and 2 applesauce packets. Drew said he didn't need to eat since he had lunch so late. So I ended up buying the kids and myself  a hamburger with no bun with lettuce and tomato. It was just fine. Who knows if the burgers had some non-compliant ingredients in them, but I did as best I could under the circumstances. The kids then ate the applesauce and the apples and were still hungry later. They ended up getting another burger with no bun. I had packed some more fruit and almonds in the car as well. On the way home they both had another apple and I ate some of the fruit and almonds. All in all a successful evening. I was super proud of myself for hanging in there when I really didn't want to be bothered.
And that smile is why we went.....

The lowdown
Today was tough. But what's interesting (and kind of annoying) is that it's not even like I wanted to get the crappy stadium food. I just wanted to have the option. I am a control freak and I don't do well if I feel like something is out of my control. Or, better yet, if I feel like it wasn't my choice. I remember going to an Indians game a few years ago when I was being really healthy and I had no problem bringing fruit for a snack to the game (we were also allowed to bring in the food). I brought juice boxes for the kids, fruit for snacks and had planned for everyone to have a hot dog for dinner. So it's all in my head. I need to look at things a different way. I need to realize that this is my choice because I chose to do the Whole30. It is under my control because one of the only things I can control is what I put in my mouth.

I, however, am still thinking about what I "can" eat when this is over. That's not necessarily a good thing. We'll see what I actually end up doing, but I'm almost feeling nervous for the end. As much as I can't wait for day 30, I'm also kind of lost about what comes next.....
According to this, summer is next! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment