Sunday, May 11, 2014

Whole30 - Day 20

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all the Mom's out there. I personally have the best mom in the WHOLE World! She had asked last week if we wanted to come out for dinner tonight to celebrate Mother's Day and I said sure. I told her to just let me know what she was planning to make so I could bring food for my family that sort of correlates with what she was having. She later told me she was just going to do steak for dinner with a salad and have veggies and fruit to snack on as well so I didn't need to bring anything. I think it's just awesome that she went out of her way to make a Whole30 compliant meal for me. She also still had things like crackers and cheese (and cheese to put on the salad) for those who wanted. Another thing that I completely forgot to thank her and my dad for is that no one drank wine! Usually at family gatherings my mom, dad and I are the big wine drinkers. Other people drink things like beer or wine coolers, but that isn't a big deal for me to pass up.

Anyway, here is what the day looked like:

Breakfast
Today was quite funny. I had gotten up this morning and then was kind of waiting around in bed because Mary had something something about making me breakfast in bed. She said she wanted to tell me ahead of time so I wouldn't get out of bed. Finally, after waiting for what seemed like a while, I got out of bed and just went to the kitchen to start making breakfast. Drew explained that he didn't do breakfast bed because he wasn't sure what to make (last year they just went and got donuts!). I laughed....and proceeded to make sausage and a scrambler with bacon, green peppers and onions. This morning both the kids talked about how good the scrambler was!

Lunch
I actually sort of skipped lunch today because I knew we were supposed to have an early dinner at my parents and I also knew she was going to have things out to snack on before dinner. When we got there I had some melon with proscuitto, which is just so yummy! I'll call that my lunch since I ate that around 2:30.

The kids did have lunch before we left for my parents house. Robbie had a chicken and apple sausage with some veggies and fruit. Mary had 3 (yes 3) compliant hot dogs with 2 measly cucumber slices and fruit.

Dinner
Like I said above, dinner was steak and salad along with sauteed onions and mushrooms and raw veggies with guacamole (which I made to bring). The picture I took isn't great because apparently there was a shadow on it, but you can get the idea. It was quite good and we got to sit outside to eat.

My kids also helped my mom make a "fruit salad" and Mary took a picture of her masterpiece.

The Lowdown
Today was a really good day. Being at my parents house for a get together wasn't as hard as I thought it might be. I mean, sure, I missed the wine a little bit but not a huge amount. There were times when I could have gone for a cracker with cheese, but it wasn't horrible. It didn't make me crabby or anything, which I think is a great success.

I think now is a good time to point out that no matter what happens with this 30 day challenge, this is for sure the longest I've ever gone eating healthy with no "cheats" or breaks or anything. I do feel good about that. The challenges are getting easier every time, but I would like to eventually learn to keep things in control and not necessarily have to completely avoid things. We'll see though. It's all a process. This was just my starting point though and I still have a long road ahead of me! But the countdown continues and only 10 more days until day 30!





No comments:

Post a Comment