Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Whole30 - Day 9

Today felt easy again. Perhaps that's because I kept it simple.

Breakfast
I ended up not making any scotch eggs last night and didn't get up early enough to make them this morning. Since Robbie claimed not to like the egg whites yesterday anyway, I just made sausage patties with scrambled eggs and fruit. They polished off breakfast with no complaints today. It was so nice!

I made Drew a scrambler with some leftover steak, green peppers, spinach and onions. I then had some more of the leftover rotisserie chicken (which I eat cold) with sugar snap peas and fruit.
So simple, yet so yummy!
Lunch
Between breakfast and lunch today I did some more food prep. I cut up some carrots and celery, boiled some eggs, made scotch eggs, made some plain sausage patties for Robbie to have, and made some tuna with homemade mayo and celery for Drew for lunch (he was working from home today so I didn't need to pack his lunch. 

The kids had their "usuals" today. Mary had egg salad with cucumbers and pineapple, but today I also sent her with guacamole to dip the cucumbers in. When she got home from school she said it was awesome. Robbie had turkey, bacon, avocado roll ups with celery and pineapple. Drew made himself a salad with the tuna on it that I had prepped earlier.

I actually got a little activity today as well (it's about time!). I walked on the treadmill for 45 minutes and then it was 1! So, again, it was about 1:30 when I had lunch. I just did turkey, bacon and avocado roll-ups with carrots and celery with a little of the ranch I made yesterday to dip. I was quite hungry at lunch so I also had a bowl of grapes and walnuts. I'll admit - I'm kind of addicted to these right now. I suppose there are worse things (ah-hem wine and salt and vinegar potato chips)!
Funny. You can't see the grapes in the bowl, but they're there.

Dinner
I was going to use this recipe for Slow-Cooker Rotisserie Chicken, but I just ended up using McCormick's rotisserie chicken seasoning instead of making my own. It has no MSG and none of the other non-compliant ingredients so I figure it's safe. I also didn't cook it for the 8 hours that was recommended. I used a temperature probe and it took maybe 5-6 hours to cook and then I kept it on warm until dinner time. I swear I think this was the moistest (is that a word? lol) chicken I've ever made. I paired it with this recipe for carrot "fries" and some green beans sauteed in some ghee. OMG, let me tell you, I LOVED the carrot fries. Robbie ate all his in about 2 seconds (even though he claimed not to really like them) and I had to fight with Mary to finish her measly little 4 fries (sigh). But, I liked them and I'm not a big cooked carrot fan. 

The Lowdown
I feel like perhaps I'm eating too many walnuts. They are on the "limit" list so I probably shouldn't be eating them daily. And I definitely shouldn't be eating them twice a day, but oh well. Like I said, I'm kind of addicted to grapes and walnuts right now. Perhaps next I'll change it up to grapes and almonds (OK...I'm so addicted that the first time I typed that I typed walnuts instead of almonds)! I'm almost out of grapes (I bought them yesterday)!

Like I said, today felt easy again (kind of like day 1). That's a good thing since tomorrow is the scary day 10! Tomorrow's dinner is not so "simple" so we'll see how it goes. 

I also think I need to branch out more on veggies, but I'm so hesitant. There are ones that I have no idea if I'll even like let alone the kids. Maybe next week I'll get more creative in the veggie department. If anyone has any suggestions I'm definitely up for them. I saw on a blog that rutabaga is a great substitute for potatoes so I might try that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment