Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Whole30-Day 2

Well, we made it to day 2! I woke up this morning with a slight headache. Yup. That's about right. According to that "Whole30 Timeline" I was talking about yesterday; days 2-3 is "the hangover". It's your body processing all the junk that you have consumed prior to doing this and getting it all out of its' system. Fun stuff! The headache hasn't been  horrible. My husband said he had a headache as well.

When the kids came home from school I asked how they were feeling today and if they had a headache at all. Robbie said he did, but it wasn't anything bad enough for him to tell me about it until I asked. :)

Today felt relatively "easy" again. I did get hungry this afternoon and even with a snack was hungry by dinner.

And on to today's meals:

Breakfast
Today was a very similar breakfast to yesterday - and will be for the rest of the week. We made a decision to make breakfasts and lunches the same (at least for the kids and hubby who have to have packed lunches) for a week at a time to help make my life a little easier!

So for my family for 4 (kids are 10 and 7), I made 7 eggs, 4 chicken breakfast sausages, 1 small zucchini, probably the equivalent of a small onion (I had already diced it and just poured it in the skillet) and maybe a quarter of a green pepper (again, this was already diced with the onion and there wasn't a lot of it in there). I sauteed the vegetables and sausage in some olive oil and added seasonings (garlic powder, basil, oregano, salt and pepper). Then I added the eggs and made a yummy scrambler. Super easy and even pretty quick even with having to cut the veggies (today I cut the zucchini and sausage as I was making it). I don't divvy it up evenly (obviously) since the kids are little and don't eat nearly as much as we do. But this seemed to be a perfect amount for us. The kids ate almost all of their servings with only a little left on their plates.

Lunch
And no, I did not eat the bread that's in the pic!
I ended up having my lunch a little early today because I wanted to meet a friend for lunch. I was heading out to Whole Foods and she works right near there so it was a perfect excuse! We went to Tommaydo, Tommahdo and I just got the Tom Tom Cobb salad with no cheese. I brought my own olive oil and vinegar in case they didn't have any.

My husband just ate leftover meatballs and some carrots and sugar snap peas for lunch. The kids had the same lunch as yesterday but we just made some minor tweaks. They each had 4 deviled eggs, veggies and fruit. Robbie decided that he didn't want anything to dip his veggies in and Mary took the cashew butter she didn't finish yesterday.




Snack
I had the same snack as yesterday so I don't think there's a need for a picture. I do not think that my husband had a snack at all. Mary had a deviled egg and Robbie had an apple for a snack. I told them we were having an early dinner tonight so they didn't need a bigger snack. 

Dinner
Dinner was slightly hectic, but that had nothing to do with the whole30. It would have been  hectic no matter what we were eating....perhaps just a bit easier if we would have done fast food! (but a heck of a lot more expensive and way less healthy). Dinner was a team effort tonight. I prepped the asparagus and got the steaks ready to grill. I then took Mary to her meeting at school at 4:30 regarding the end of the year talent show. While I was there Drew grilled the steaks and cooked the veggies. By the time Mary and I got home we were able to sit down to dinner before Robbie's soccer practice at 6 and Mary's volleyball at 6:30! Whew! But, we did it. And it was yummy!
Delmonico steak with green beans and prosciutto wrapped asparagus. OMG, the asparagus was awesome! I made 3 steaks, one for each of the adults and one to split between the kids. Robbie ate his share and took some of mine and Drew's! Robbie also complained about the green beans and asparagus yet not a single one was left on his plate! I love that. I hate that he complains, but I love that he scarfs it down to get it over with (which is what he explained to me today).

The Lowdown
Day 2 wasn't bad at all. I need to figure out a lunch that will actually hold me until dinner. But, I also think that my body has to get used to eating less food in general. My brain might be telling me I'm hungry because it's so used to eating more when I don't really need it. It's gotta take time to rebuild that communication between body and brain. And, even though the point of this is not weight loss,  that is a big part of it for me so I don't want to eat too much. A work in progress though. It is only day 2 so I imagine it'll get easier to determine what serving sizes I need to sustain me.

On to day 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment