Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Whole30-Day8

Today's been a pretty good day.

Breakfast
I got up and started my usual morning routine (which isn't much different now that we're doing the Whole30). I got Drew's scrambler made and packed into a container for him to take to work. He didn't need a lunch today because they had some team meeting lunch thing (a challenge for sure) at an Italian restaurant! He looked at the menu online and already decided what to get, but it still had to happen and it would be interesting to see what the outcome was.

The kids ate the scotch eggs, but of course this morning Robbie said he didn't like the egg whites. He took the yolks out and ate them with the sausage. Whatever! I also cut up an apple for each of them and decided to not worry about veggies at breakfast. I came to the conclusion today that I'm going to stop worrying about how many veggies they're eating because they're eating way more than they used to so that's good enough. And it's funny because I worry that if they don't eat their veggies maybe they aren't eating enough - but then when I think about what we might fill their diet with it's all crap and empty calories anyway so it's not like they're losing nutrients.

I didn't take a picture of my breakfast today because it was quite sad. I went out to breakfast again this morning and really didn't want a scrambler. I ordered 2 eggs over hard and some corned beef (I have to look up to see if this is actually allowed). I also ordered fruit on the side, but they were out. When my plate came I realized I had NO veggies or fruit. Sigh....oh well.

Lunch
The kids did lunches similar to yesterday. Mary wanted to try the turkey, avocado, bacon so she had 2 slices of that and 1 egg of egg salad with her veggies and fruit. Robbie said he needed 4 slices of the turkey instead of 3 so that's what we did.

Drew had his lunch out and did as well as he could. He got a big salad and from the sounds of it stayed compliant. I didn't eat lunch until almost 1:30 again, but wasn't really hungry until then. I got a big salad at Giant Eagle while picking up some more groceries for the week. I also tried a new recipe for ranch. It was missing chives, but it was MUCH better than the other one. I put that on my salad and then had some grapes with walnuts when I was done with the salad.
After school Mary had some leftover rotisserie chicken and a fruit leather (no sugar in the ingredients!). Robbie had the last 3 chicken wings and some fruit. I had some more grapes and walnuts (because it was just SO good)!

Dinner
Tonight's dinner was almond crusted pork chops with broccoli and applesauce. I dipped the pork in egg and then in almond flour/meal, which I seasoned with some parsley, Italian seasonings, salt and pepper. There were 6 thin chops in all that all together were a little over 3/4 of a pound. The boys each had 2 chops and the girls had one!
I had already taken a bite - oops!
The Lowdown
Robbie continues to eat me out of house and home. He must be going through a growth spurt. He's eating as much as an adult so I'm not all that concerned that he's not getting enough food or anything! Mary continues to fight me more on veggies than Robbie (he complains, but then eats every morsel of the veggies before anything else just to get it over with). Mary, on the other hand, leaves them until last and tries to get out of eating them. But, all in all they are doing amazingly well. They are really being troopers with this.

I'm better today. Feeling a little less overwhelmed (although I did just realize I have no scotch eggs on hand for breakfast tomorrow and I can't decide if I want to make them now or do it in the morning)!

I have decided that I'm not even going to try to shop for a whole week at a time. I'm going to try to make meal plans for about 4 days at a time and go from there. If that means I'll be at the grocery store every 4 days so be it. I am lucky enough to be able to have the flexibility to do that so I'll go with that. 

And just for the fun of it. I'll leave you tonight with some artwork done by the kids that we saw at the Kenston Art Show tonight. 
Robbie's elephant


Mary's flowers

This one was cool. A different kid did each of the "animals" on the totem pole. 



No comments:

Post a Comment