Monday, April 28, 2014

Whole30-Day 7,

Well. We made it through one FULL week of the Whole30! Woo hoo!

Today was kind of a crazy day, but oddly enough it started out quite calmly. The kids both got up relatively easily (dare I say easier than normal?!?! Nah - it was probably just a fluke). I had already gotten up and gotten their lunches packed, Drew's lunch packed and Drew's breakfast made..and packed (he eats it at work). So I then got the kids' breakfasts ready and as they started eating, I got my breakfast ready. The three of us sat at the table and ate breakfast. It was kind of nice. I never sit and eat breakfast with my kids on a school morning. It felt quite relaxed. The craziness started when breakfast was done, but it was still better than most mornings.

Breakfast
This is his 2nd scotch egg!
Last night I prepped the kids breakfast for today. I made scotch eggs. I found a couple different recipes online, but I just took a pound of bulk breakfast sausage (the plain kind, I checked the ingredients and there didn't appear to be any non-compliant ingredients) and 6 hard boiled eggs. I wrapped the hard boiled eggs in the sausage and baked them at 350 for about 20 minutes. They were a HIT! I figured one would be PLENTY for the kids since it's an egg with the equivalent of a sausage patty, but Robbie had 2! I didn't feel like fighting over the veggies today so I let them get away with 2 pieces of vegetables. Robbie had 1 celery stick and 1 carrot stick and Mary had 2 cucumber slices. They both had mandarin oranges as well. But, they were happy and had a whole foods breakfast so I'm happy.

I, on the other hand, was getting a little sick of eggs (although I probably could have done a hard boiled egg) so I just had some leftover rotisserie chicken with sugar snap peas and carrots. I realized that I didn't have any fat (according to the meal template fats are like healthy oils, cashews, avocado's, etc). I technically didn't have any of that so I put some cashews on my plate. I didn't eat as many as are pictured - took too many! Drew, who is a creature of habit, had a scrambler again. He'll likely eat that for breakfast for the next 30+ days!
Lunch
Robbie's Lunch
Mary's lunch
I was absolutely ravenous by the time I ate lunch because I was at my kids' schools the whole morning. I volunteered in the office at Robbie's school from about 8:30 to 10:30 and then subbed as a lunch proctor at Mary's school from 11-1:15. I didn't get to eat until almost 2! I ended up just making the same thing for me that I made for Robbie - avocado and bacon wrapped in turkey slices. I just ate some more sugar snap peas, carrots, and cucumbers with it. I also had a handful of walnuts when I was done eating lunch. 

Again, I made Drew a salad with chicken and walnuts and dressed it with oil and vinegar. Like I said, he's a creature of habit. 
My lunch
Dinner
Tonight was another "quick dinner" night since Mary had volleyball at 5:30. We did dinner after practice since eating before 5:30 is not possible. So dinner was just steak and veggies tonight. 
I don't have much else to say about dinner. Pretty boring. 

The Lowdown
I'm feeling very overwhelmed tonight. I feel like I can't plan for more than 3-4 days in advance because I don't know what the kids are actually going to eat. I'm spending so much time planning what the kids and my husband are going to eat that I forget to think about what I might eat (if it's something different than what they want). I can't do scrambled eggs every day for 30 days. I'm already sick of them, so I'm making Drew his scrambler in the morning and I need to make something else for me and the kids. This morning was easy (and tomorrow will be too) because I pre-made the scotch eggs. Robbie claims he'll eat those for the next few mornings. However, if I make 12 (enough to not even last a whole week if Robbie keeps eating 2 at breakfast!), and he decides he doesn't want it, I've wasted that money. Eating like this is so freaking expensive that I can't afford to waste a morsel of food. So the planning is making me feel overwhelmed. 

Then, tonight at Mary's practice her coach was rewarding them with jelly beans for making good plays and she was awesome and gave hers away....but I felt bad. It's only 30 days. It's not like they can't go without sugar for 30 days and she was really fine about it, I just feel bad. 

I'm going through a ton of emotions tonight and I just don't think anyone wants me to go into all of them right now. Perhaps I'll do a separate blog post or perhaps I'll just let it pass. Like I said, days 10-11 are the most common days to quit. Unfortunately that will be Thurs/Fri this week. To hit the "hardest" part of the Whole30 on the weekend just stinks. I'm still determined. It's 30 days and I know we can do this. However, I'm not so confident about what will happen when this is over. In the very least I hope it sparks me to get back on track with doing what I need to do to lose this weight because frankly, that's the most important thing to me right now. What I'm afraid it'll do is send me into a binge as soon as I hit day 31. It's supposed to change your relationship with food so hopefully that won't happen, but it is "only" 30 days - how much can it really change?? 

OK. That's enough for tonight. Sorry for the negative post. I said I was going to be completely honest through this journey. 


No comments:

Post a Comment