Sunday, October 28, 2012

What's Next??

And now for the million dollar question......

Will you do another one?!?!?

The short answer....MOST DEFINITELY!

Is there a long answer? Come on...you have to have learned by now that there is ALWAYS a long answer with me. (course, I guess if there wasn't I wouldn't have had a reason to start this blog).

As I already discussed at length in my last post; I enjoyed every second of this marathon. There is no way that I don't want to experience that again! However, there are things I need to consider prior to toeing the start line of my next marathon. (that's a great saying...toeing the start line....it's hilarious to me only because I will never actually line up on the start line! I will always be in the back of the pack, but I still like it so I'm gonna use it!)

As I was saying...changes have to occur prior to conquering my next marathon. Prior to this marathon I made myself a promise. While I was suffering through my last long run, I felt like I would never again want to train for a marathon. However, I also know myself well enough to know that when I lose my weight and when I become a better runner; I won't want my marathon time to forever be almost 7 hours (at the time I was not feeling very confident about finishing in anything under 6:59:59). So even though I had no idea how I would feel during or after the marathon, I pretty much knew I wouldn't do only one.

I asked my mom during this run if she would willing to support me through another training session. But, I told her that I would wait until I was completing half marathons in something like 2 hours. Ok, that is NOT going to happen. That wasn't a promise I made! I don't know that I'm EVER going to finish a half marathon in 2 hours. But, it goes to the promise I have since made to myself.

I will not do another marathon at my current weight.

That's as far as I've gotten in my promise. I'm not going to pinpoint a certain weight and say I have to weigh 1xx prior to doing a marathon, because I'm known to sabotage my efforts when I've put a specific weight goal on myself. But, I know that I don't want to do another one as big as I am now. I'd also like to have improved my running enough that a finish less than 6 hours becomes more realistic.

I've got some things to work on. So, the answer to what's next is to really focus on my diet more than I have been. To get back on the wagon and look at this as a way for me to meet my next goal. I mean, if I can complete a marathon, why can't I control my eating?!?! There's no reason. I can control my eating. I choose not to.

Clearly the reasons I've used as motivators to lose weight in the past weren't good enough. Apparently wanting to look better isn't enough of a motivating factor to me. The whole "wanting to be healthier" is not something I play into because, as we've discussed, I'm healthier at this weight than lots of people at a lower weight; according to my numbers.

So, what's immediately next is to complete my 2012 goal. I only mentioned this on my "running/triathlon journey"  link on this blog. At the end of 2011 I counted all the races I had completed to date in my life. I decided to make a goal of completing that number of races in 2012. I thought this number was 10 and it was nice because I had completed 5 races in 2011, so it would also mean doubling the amount of races done from 2011 to 2012. However, I apparently missed one race in there because when I was writing my races page for this blog, I realized that the number is actually 11. As of today, I have completed 8 races in 2012. I have 2 more on my schedule (Women Who Run 4 miler next weekend and Aurora Turkey Trot 4 miler on Thanksgiving Day). That will bring me to 10 races, but you know that just won't do for me. I only have to decide on 1 more to get to my 11 and I have time to do it. So, I'm going to find one more race to do and will meet my 2012 goal!

At the same time I will start on my next big goal....to lose this weight for good and really work on improving my fitness.

1 comment:

  1. Good goals, all! I certainly support your decision to not do another marathon at your current weight. And you KNOW that I'll be right there to support your training when you are ready to get back into it. I'm happy to ride along with you on slightly shorter runs as well.

    ReplyDelete