Monday, October 8, 2012

Fat Girl Running

So in my post yesterday I touched on the fact that while running my 10k yesterday morning I was composing a new post in my head (I tend to do that).
I've read it before...but it didn't hit home until yesterday!
When I'm in a race or even going through a training run, there is nothing that annoys me more than when someone looks at me and gives me some sort of encouragement. Sounds weird, right?? But, all I can think is that they're just saying that because they see a fat girl "trying to run". I assume that if I were a normal weight they wouldn't say those things to me. "Doing great...you can do it...keep it up" I want to just say...yes, I KNOW I can. I've done 4 half marathons and am training for my first full. I know I can do it so just shut up! I feel like I have to start spewing my resume of recent athletic events (running and triathlons) in order to justify why I'm there and why I will, in fact, succeed. It makes me very aware of my size and I hate it.
That being said, I don't mind the people who just wave hi or say good morning when we cross on the trail where I do all my training runs. Giving that little "runners wave" makes me forget about my size and speed and makes me realize that I'm just out there on that trail every week like all these other people.

So yesterday during the race I was running along and came to the part where you pass the other faster people in the race. For the first time, when people passed me and said "the turnaround is just past those tables", I felt like they were actually just giving me encouragement. Not because I'm fat. Not because they thought I looked like I was going to die, but just because. I still get frustrated when I'm taking a scheduled walk break and people who pass me say things like, "keep going", "you can do it", and my favorite "don't give up"! Yesterday it was, "only 1.5 miles left, you can do this!". To which I said, "Yup!".
But, it was in that moment yesterday that I decided I need to start working on embracing the fat girl running. I think only when I start to embrace and truly appreciate her, will I be able to get rid of her! I realize that this is probably not news to any of you out there who listen to me talk about my accomplishments, but sometimes it takes time for things to get through my thick skull. I've been struggling with this feeling that it's not enough. That, sure, I've done 4 half marathons, but I still haven't managed to complete one in 2 hours and 30 minutes or less. Or, that, sure, I'm training for a full marathon, but I can't seem to get my pace better than a 14:15 minute/mile on my long runs. So then I blame the fat chick. I say things like, "if [whoever I'm comparing myself to] put on a 50+lb fat suit, they wouldn't be able to run [whatever pace they run] either". Like I have to defend my slowness. Instead, I've decided I need to embrace my slowness, my fatness, and everything else about me right NOW. I mean, at least I am DOING it. At least I am out there on a Sunday morning at 6:45 AM, waiting in line for a porta potty. At least I am on that trail at least once a week, running anywhere from 6 to 21 miles in order to train for this full marathon. At least, when hitting the turnaround for the 10k yesterday, I passed not 1, not 5, not 10, but about 40 runners....almost all of which were SMALLER than me!

It IS good enough. Just doing it is good enough. I cross the same finish line, get the same t-shirt, and wear the same medals as the people who cross that line before me. I will never win a race, and that's OK. That's always been OK. But, I think in order to really appreciate how far I've come (when I inevitably lose this weight and become a faster runner), I need to appreciate where I'm at right here and now. I need to appreciate that, at over 200lbs, I can run 4 miles without stopping; I can run/walk for over 5 hours; and I am the healthiest I've been in my entire life when you look at the numbers (except for the one on the scale obviously).

So I am telling you all now that I am working on trying to be more positive about my accomplishments. This is not to say that I'll get over the negativeness (is that a word??) overnight, but I am trying. I am trying to truly believe that what I'm doing is awesome and a great accomplishment no matter what my weight or speed is! And, I hope that embracing the fat girl running will help me to become just a girl running! :)

8 comments:

  1. There's wisdom in what you wrote today, Kim. Believe it! And, FYI, it's "negativity," in case you decide to use it again. :- )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh...yes, I knew negativeness sounded wrong! ;-)

      Delete
  2. I truly believe that staying positive is a vital aspect of everything we do and can have a huge impact. I really think you need to get out of your head. For instance, why infer that people are only offering encouragement because you are heavier then you want to be. Maybe their "you can do it" or "only 1.5 miles to go don't give up" is the support they've been giving the past 100 people regardless of size. Don't let negative thoughts penetrate and potentially throw you off your stride. Seriously, you don't know what anyone else is thinking why go to the negative? Every race I have gone to either as a participant or as a supporter has always been a very positive atmosphere. You don't need anyone's affirmation that you can do it, you know you can, so just take their support as all that it is meant to be, support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie,
      Yes! That's exactly what this post was all about - about me admitting my messed up brain and how it's holding me back. How I need to be more positive and believe that these people are encouraging me for just that - encouragement. And frankly, if they are saying it because I'm the big girl who looks like I need some encouragement then FINE...that's OK. And I need to start just taking it as encouragement and go from there. These are truly my issues that I am working on getting over. My negativity has consumed me for many years so it will be a journey in and of itself to get over.

      Delete
  3. Amen. Glad you're finally figuring things out. Now perhaps this will actually post from my phone. I gave up trying from the ipad*sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. :D you know I'm happy to hear this!!! Life's to short to focus on the negativeness (good word by the way, it ranks up there with nutritionalize;) just be yourself and be PROUD of yourself no matter if you're fat, skinny, slow, fast or inbetween. You've accomplished a lot, be proud of it. The rest of us are, it's time you join us......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could have written this post. I have found that I often respond to encouragement from our faster peers in an internally negative way too. I think you are on target with the idea that if we change how we perceive ourselves, our perceptions of others will change as well.

    ReplyDelete