Monday, November 5, 2012

Women Who Run

Saturday I was registered to run in the first Women Who Run race in Cleveland. It was billed as a women's only race with all things a woman would want about a race. They had 2 distances, a 1 mile "fun run" and 4 mile run. They were providing finisher's medals to all who finished (both distances), which I had a couple of feelings about (we'll get there). They had women's cut tech tee's, which I know most women like because they are cut smaller. But, I frankly can't stand most women's tech tee's because even the XL is skin tight on me and makes me feel....well....more than XL! But, when I registered for this race, the shirts actually went up to an XXL. As much as I HATE ordering that size, I knew that would mean that I would actually have at least 1 race shirt that fits me right now. I was happy about that. And, I was right. The shirt fits with a little bit of room. Although I'm not a fan of the white shirt.

I was contemplating inviting Mary to come do this race with me since we had such a good time last week. But then she was complaining of a headache on Friday and I thought she could use to sleep in. Also, the race was 4 miles and although she plans to do the turkey trot with me on Thanksgiving, I wasn't sure if she was ready for 4 miles just a week after her first ever 5k. So, I went it alone. I've been doing more and more races alone lately and honestly, I don't like it. I've run several races by myself over the last few years, but I've almost always at least gone with someone. It makes it so much more fun to have someone there with you...even if you don't run the actual race together. Of course the BEST time is when you go with someone AND run the race together (which is probably why I had SO much fun with my daughter last week). I swear I think I was the only one at the race on Saturday that didn't come with a friend or family member. It made me a little sad. Anyway....

The race started at the Galleria (again, same starting place as last week). They had their own little "expo" happening in the Galleria before the race. I saw a shirt I liked and probably would have bought it if I didn't leave my money in the car! The shirt said "I know I'm slow...Get Over It!" I hesitate buying something like that because I hope to become not so slow one of these days, but I figure even when I'm not so slow in my book, I'll still be slow compared to LOTS of other runners! As I'm waiting for 9AM to roll around and standing there by myself. The DJ person makes an announcement that the race has actually been changed to a 5k. Apparently the President was going to be at Burke Lakefront Airport so we needed to get done faster. I was a little bummed because frankly, I don't really like 5k's. Of course, around mile 2 I was quite happy that I was MORE than halfway done! 

I went into this race with no goals. I had thought about trying to run the entire thing with no walk breaks, but honestly, I haven't run at all since the 5k last Saturday (yea...it's been THAT bad). So, I knew that likely wasn't a realistic expectation. When it was supposed to be 4 miles, I also knew that I would likely not beat my current 4 mile PR so it's not like that was a realistic goal either. As I started running I was deciding in my head how to cover the distance. This is never a good idea! I should have known that! I started with thinking that perhaps I should just to run to mile 1, take a 1 minute walk break, run to mile 2, walk break, etc. So, I didn't take a walk break until mile 1. I finished the first mile in about 11:06. I was pretty happy with that. But, apparently that was a little too fast. I took about 2 or maybe 3 walk breaks in the 2nd mile and took a little over 12 to finish the 2nd mile (I think). At this point I started thinking that I should just try to beat my time from last week. What's funny about this was that for some reason I had 36:16 in my head. I got the numbers mixed up. I looked at my watch when 30 minutes had elapsed and was then getting discouraged because I didn't think I could finish by 36 minutes. Therefore, I was about to end this race having not met a single (non-existent) goal. This is why I need to have a plan BEFORE the race; otherwise I make goals "on the fly" and still get discouraged if I don't meet them. 

I crossed the finish line and the clock said something under 37 minutes, but I didn't pay close attention. I was still feeling a little defeated because, as I said last week, I was proud of the fact that when I ran with Mary I felt like I could have gone faster without her. I was thinking on Saturday that this obviously wasn't true and I just ran this 5k SLOWER than when I ran it with her. At some point it dawned on me that Mary and I didn't finish in 36:16 last week, we finished in 38 something...Drew and Robbie had finished in 36 something (and it wasn't 16). I felt significantly better. My official time was 36:40...and when I compared it to last week, it was almost 2 minutes faster...and only 5 seconds slower than Drew and Robbie's time last week. And I know this wasn't my best race by far. I struggled. I've been struggling a lot lately (go figure); so in the end I felt pretty good about this race. 

This race marked my 9th one of 2012. I have now decided that I am going to change my goal to completing 11 races in 2012 since 11 was actually the number of races I had completed in my life up to December 2011. Of course, there is a part of me that is now thinking if I do 11, I mind as well even it out to 12 races - one for each month of 2012. And besides, 12 races in 2012...kind of has a ring to it....no??

2 comments:

  1. Why did I have no knowledge of this run? Perhaps you told me and I'm just brain dead. I could have been there at the finish line...

    So let's look at the positive. This was a personal best at this distance, no? So what are you complaining about??? I know you finally got around to feeling good about the race, but you need to skip all the other negative stuff. It's just a waste of time and energy.

    AND.... you need to get off your butt and start doing some conditioning. Remember how good you felt after your treadmill run? Get back on it.

    I also agree that 12 races in 2012 has a good ring to it. But time grows short, and perhaps you shouldn't push too hard for that. 10 is a given [with the Turkey Trot...and don't even THINK about giving that up to cook...I can help with that if necessary]. So if you want to get to 12, perhaps a couple shorter ones rather than one long might be good.

    Whatever you decide, let me know how I can help:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I mentioned this run because it was just a "little, quick" run! :) And no, not a personal best. 35:03 stays as my personal best for 5k - and that was my first ever in 2007. But 2nd best time...yes.

      I am thinking of doing the Twinsburg Turkey Trot this Saturday (which is a 5 miler). That will bring me to 11. And then that jingle bell run you sent me an email about is a 5k and that could be #12! So, we'll see! :)

      Delete