Sunday, August 5, 2012

Greater Cleveland Tri (GCT) Teaser...

Official results are not up yet and I think I need a day to digest this event and provide a detailed race report. We all know how long-winded I am anyway, so I think this one would be record breaking! Therefore, I decided to break it into 2! :)
The very hard earned medal! (not sure what's up with the expression on my face)

Lessons Learned:
  • Waves...SUCK!
  • Wind...BLOWS (ha! I crack myself up...pun very much intended)
  • And Running...well, running is not so much running as walking with brief periods of shuffling
About to finish...and approaching a small stretch of sand!

The Positives of the day:
  • I finished my first Olympic distance (well mostly*) Tri!  *they cut the swim in half because the waves were so high and the water conditions were too dangerous.
  • According to my Garmin, I believe I was within my time goal for the bike and only a few minutes over the run...but we'll see what the official results indicate.
  • I have come to appreciate the fact that I may not be fast, but I am a STRONG swimmer! The swim was TOUGH, but I did it. I did it without hanging on to the kayak's or stopping to take a rest. I passed many people doing this. I also did not have one ounce of fear in that water with those waves...just thoughts of - wow! this is tough...where's the finish!
  • Although I felt like I struggled through the start of the bike, I did better than I thought I might on the crazy downhills! Talk about white knuckles!
  • And, although I struggled through the run (ahem...walk), I pushed through and never gave up. Did I walk more than I wanted?? Absolutely! But, did I give up and walk the entire thing? Nope. In fact, I negative split the run (which means that 2nd half was faster than the first)! And, even with the amount that I walked, my Garmin indicated an average rate of 14:36 min/mile - only 36 seconds per mile off my goal.
  • And although listed last - for sure most important...I have the BEST spectators! Both my SIL and husband got up with me at some unGodly hour in the morning to then sit around for hours on end....in the rain...just to support my efforts (and take pictures)! My parents then came later with my children (who also had spent the night so that Drew could come early with me). My sister and her family were also there today. And my other sister immediately called my mom after lunch to see how I did. I am forever thankful for my awesome support system!
An emotional finish!

Negatives:
Well, I could list a ton of these. Or, as I was struggling through the Tri I could have listed a ton. But, then my family (specifically husband and SIL) informed me at the end of the race that someone was pulled out of the water and it didn't look good. They are thinking the worst, but based on some information I'm seeing now (on Facebook) perhaps there is hope. Regardless, this put everything in perspective for me. It's sad that it took such an incident to make me realize that all that matters is I'm doing it ....and I lived through it. Triathlons are no joke. They are a test of endurance, strength, and so many other skills. Who knows what happened to that man who eventually had to be dragged out of the water by fellow triatheletes? But what I do know is that I may be slow, but I have worked very hard to ensure that I can DO this. I can cross that finish line, even if it takes me longer than most people.

Oh...and another positive I forgot to add....I wasn't last! :) There were at least 3-4 people who came in behind me! All I need is 1!

Official race report (and probably a novel to bore you out of your skull) to come later......

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I will have to get some tips from you when I do my first olympic length tri. Good for you and try to ride high on this finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah...seriously this makes me laugh! I was thinking about you on the run and thinking...how in the heck did she do a 70.3?? There is NO way I could do that! I'm not sure what tips I can give you when you've already gone twice the distance. You'll be great! :)

      Delete
  2. It was a rough, weird day, but I often find those can be good. A time of growth because it makes you think about things. It helps make you a stronger person. You have no idea how much I wanted to hug you when you were running past me after the swim. Being fast isn't the most important thing. Being strong and confident is. I think today was good for you, a wake up call to all that you have accomplished. Be proud of yourself. I'm proud of you! Until the next (and hopefully less exciting) tri.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all continue to be proud of you. I'm especially impressed with the swim part of this race. The lake looked anything but inviting, and I can't imagine swimming against the current [as you did for more than half the time you were in the water].

    At this point you might enjoy doing something a tad LESS challenging for a change... perhaps a sprint tri...just for FUN!

    Looking forward to helping out on your long training runs getting ready for the Columbus marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog when I was searching for comments on the Greater Cleveland Triathlon and just wanted to tell you, good job! I have competed in triathlons for several years and although I am not fast by any stretch of the imagination, I enjoy the challenge of them and it gives me a reason to exercise. Yesterday was one of the hardest triathlons I have ever done and I have done a Half Ironman before. We had huge waves, killer headwind and moral busting bike climbs and thunder and rain on the run. If you can make it through that with a smile on your face, your Columbus Marathon will be a piece of cake. Thanks for sharing your journey, looking forward to more updates. I am also a "Kim" who only finished a few spots in front of you. You killed me on the swim. You should check out this blog when you have a chance (not mine) Athena Diaries. It is very inspirational for those of us that do not look like gazelles. The writer is more into ultra running now, but if you go back a few years she has some really great stuff on training for an ironman. I am training for the Cedar Point Full ironman in September. It's my first and am getting pretty nervous about it. It is a great course (very flat), you should check it out for your HIM next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      OMG!! My first comment from someone I don't know in real life! :) Seriously...Thanks though. Honestly, your comment just put a big smile on my face! To think that someone who was there yesterday and did a HIM is telling me that I could do it if I finished yesterday is amazing! Cedar Point is the HIM I was thinking about for next year. We'll see though. I think perhaps I need to get better at shorter distances first. Good luck with your first full! That's INSANE! I know someone else doing the Cedar Point FULL so I might even be there.
      Thanks for stopping by my blog! I truly hope you enjoy it. I'm still new at all of this!

      Delete