Thursday, June 28, 2012

So Much To Say.....

....yet I can't seem to gather my thoughts to actually get a post done.

I've thought of so many different topics and blog titles lately, but then I don't sit down and type it out and I lose it. Or, I just don't want to take the time because I'm tired and I know a blog post takes me some time. (Gee....I wonder why?? Can't possibly be because I get wordy!)

So, last week I was going to post about how much BETTER I was doing.

For someone who claims not to like math, I am ALL about numbers! Frankly, it's completely annoying. I keep a record of all my workouts (like many people do). Some might say my method is a little juvenile....but I like it. I print out a calendar of my scheduled workouts and I get a smiley face sticker on every day that I actually do that (or SOME) workout.
So pretty...green smiley's this month. There should be significantly more however!

The schedule for last week (and frankly most weeks) looked a little like this:
PLANNED                                                                           ACTUAL
Sunday (17th): Towpath 10 miler                                        Towpath 10 miler
Monday (18th): Swim                                                          Swim 1550 yds (31 laps)
Tuesday (19th): Run 3-4 miles                                            Treadmill 3 miles
Wednesday (20th): Bike 15 miles                                        Bike 12.64 miles
Thursday (21st): Run 3 miles                                               NADA
Friday (22nd): Bike 20 miles                                               NADA
Saturday (23rd): Swim                                                        Run 12 miles

Ok. So, I was PSYCHED with this because this was the first week that I actually got 5 of my planned 7 days of activity in. I've been slacking so much lately that my weeks have been more like 2...3...4 times per week instead of 7! I also move things around sometimes just because life gets in the way. I didn't do my planned 20 mile bike on Friday because I didn't have anyone to take the kids and frankly didn't feel like doing it once my husband got home. But, we did our long run on Saturday instead of our usual Sunday; so on Sun I KILLED 20.71 miles on the bike!!! WOO HOO!! Longest ride on the bike to date!
BOO YAH!!! A most successful 20 miler! Now to just accomplish several more of those plus longer ones between now and August 5th!

I was still feeling mostly good to start this week when I still stopped to go swimming on my way home from work Monday. But, it stops there :( I have done NOTHING since Monday.....and it's Thursday. ARGH! I need to stop doing this to myself. I let work be the excuse this week. It's end of the month so that means billing, which means report writing and last minute meetings to get all your time in for the month. It means I'm working until 9 or 10 at night. Sure, I could get up in the AM to get my workout in......but I didn't. I'm frustrated that I keep doing this to myself. I have the Oly Tri coming up in just over a month now and I'm NOT READY!! I haven't put in the time. But, I'm not going to back out. I'm still fairly confident I'll finish. I'm just worried I'll find myself walking the ENTIRE 10k!

I also have to stop missing my weekday workouts because I'm going to end up hurting myself one of these days. I have a 30 mile bike ride on the schedule for tomorrow....and the ONLY reason I'm actually going to accomplish this is because I'm doing it with a friend. If she backs out for any reason (it's supposed to be a hot one tomorrow), I'm afraid I won't go. On Sunday I'm then doing my first "brick" workout of the season. I have scheduled a 15 mile bike followed by a 4 mile run. My "bricks" last year started at something like 10 mile bike followed by about a 2 mile run.

The theme continues....I HAVE GOT TO GET MY HEAD OUT OF MY ASS!!!! Why am I continuing to have such issues with this?!?! And, I haven't even started talking about my eating yet! I suppose I'll leave that for another post that will take me a week to actually write!

Anyone have any pointers for me about getting my workouts in?? I thought about trying to use this blog for accountability....post at the start of the week what my plan is and then report back to you....I just don't know that anyone even reads this. And why would anyone care whether or not I'm working out??

5 comments:

  1. First I am totally in for tomorrow so bring your bike and let's kill 30 together. Secondly, you need to give your body time for recovery so I think that 7 days per week is first unrealistic and second not great for your body. 5 solid days will leave you with more energy for your workouts, a little bit more flexibility, and some time for recovery. You are doing great by the way so give yourself some credit too! See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim- I'm reading your blog. I give you a lot of credit for even doing what you are doing. Life gets busy and in the way. Case in point...I was hoping to lose the last 6 lbs of my goal by June 20th and it didn't happen. I got busy with the kids, Dan works at night and I don't want to have someone else watch them so I can go exercise, it was too hot, etc, etc, etc. Keep up your good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read it, understand missing workouts, but will get on here and ridicule you if you want me to. Try posting the workouts and see if it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with Melanie about needing a day of rest now and again...If you don't want to schedule a rest day in, I suppose it's okay to shoot for 7 days so that when you miss that, you're still doing 5 or 6...the key is not to see that 5 or 6 days a week as a failure!So...looking at your calendar I see 13 smiley faces [the updated "Yes!" stickers?] and approximately 4 weeks. 5 days a week would have meant 20 smileys, so you accomplished 65% of what any sane person would see as a reasonable [ambitious even] goal for the month. Not nearly as bad as you make it sound.

    Suggestions for getting the workouts in...try not to take off two days in a row... no excuses! And, I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but get your butt out of bed and do it early in the day. Especially this time of year. It's cooler. AND you don't have all day to talk yourself out of it. I know that's not always realistic with kids, but there's no reason why you can't do your long workouts on days that Drew works from home.

    And, finally. There are lots of people who care whether you work out or not...lots of people who love you enough to want you to succeed and be happy with yourself!

    Just to clarify... I DO happen to be one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone else here, but I'll say it again anyway :) Maybe if you PLAN 1 or 2 days of REST into your workout schedule, it will be easier to get all 5 workouts in. Part of the problem is that you see missing a workout as a failure and then it is even harder to do the next workout and get "back on track". Look closely at your work/home/kid schedule and plan your days of rest for those days when you are likely to not have the time/motivation to get a workout in. AND don't be afraid to move things around when life happens. If you feel great and want to do a workout on your day of planned rest, then go for it! You can always rest the next day. If you planned a workout for a day when you feel lousy and just can't get up the motivation to do it, take that as your day of rest and move the workout to your next planned day of rest instead. Sometimes when you REALLY don't feel like doing anything, your workout can have the wrong effect and be discouraging and who needs that?!?

    Also-whenever possible-workout with a buddy. I see that you do that a lot and that is awesome. You know you won't cancel a workout if someone else is counting on you to do it with them. This is something that has always worked for me.

    You should be proud of all that you have accomplished. Look back at where you were when you started all this...how many times per week were you working out then? NONE! So-right there you have made a HUGE accomplishment. You have made exercise a part of your life-your routine. You have kept this up for a LONG time with no end in sight! Don't forget that! We are all so proud of you-BE PROUD OF YOURSELF-and give yourself a break now and then. No one is perfect. EVERYONE takes a day off now and then. Like Heather said 'Life gets busy and gets in the way'. You have a full time job and 2 kids to care for and you are still finding the time to exercise on a fairly regular basis...THAT'S AWESOME!! Give yourself the credit you deserve for all that you have accomplished. Everyone's entitled to a day off here and there. Tomorrow's another day. Instead of making an 'excuse', make a CHOICE. I'm not going to do my workout today and THAT'S OK!!! Just remember you are loved and supported and we are all very proud of you! :) Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete