Saturday, June 23, 2012

Let's Talk Intervals, Shall We??

New Shoes Cure the Blues!
Many of you already know that I use the Jeff Galloway method when running. This is a run-walk-run interval method. WAY back in 2008 when I decided to train with Team Challenge to complete my first ever half marathon I knew there was no way I'd go from the couch to crossing the finish line of 13.1 miles if I attempted to run the entire thing. I just didn't see this as reality. However, I was FAR less knowledgeable of the "running world" as I am now (and I'm still not all that knowledgeable, but trust me - I know more now than I did then!). I figured I would run until I needed a break, then walk for a little, then run some more. Guess what? This was a BAD plan! Actually, it ended up not even being a plan at all and that was the problem.


I can't quite remember, but I'm thinking this was around mile 4. It was definitely in the first 6 miles because I was still running (and smiling).
What ended up happening was that my run intervals were so long for the first 6 miles that after mile 6 I was completely D.O.N.E! I remember that Rox and I decided we would run/walk the half together because we ran a pretty similar pace and we were both hoping to just finish. I also clearly remember at mile 6 looking at the clock and being so happy when it said something around 1:30. I realized that if I could keep the same pace the second half of the race I would finish in 3 hours and this was 30 minutes faster than my goal! Unfortunately Rox wasn't too satisfied with 1:30 and I was ready to walk and she wasn't. I kind of snapped at her to just go without me. I can't imagine she'll find this blog, but if she does- sorry about that Rox, I didn't mean to snap at you!

Anyway, what happened then was NOT pretty! I would try to run and felt as though I couldn't. This was a destination race so we were in Miami, Florida in January, but it was still in the 70's and I had been training through snow....just a little different! I was hot and tired and not wanting to run. I finished the first 10k of that race in 1:28:57, but my final time was 3:20:48! Ummm, yea, that's because I walked what felt like almost the entire second half.


Cleveland Half Marathon 2011 with Adrienne and SIL (aka Margie)
Fast forward almost 2 years and SIL asks if I want to do the Cleveland Half Marathon. I decide that I need something to help motivate me to exercise and eat better (don't I always) so I say yes. Now, I can't remember completely, but I think I learned officially about the Jeff Galloway method through a friend. Heather was training for her first marathon (Cleveland) and utilized the JG method as well. Not sure if SIL told me about it or if I was somewhat familiar with it already. Anyway, I decided that this time around I would figure out a specific interval to do and I would hold that interval throughout the 13.1 miles. The difference?? Well, this time around my 10k split was 1:20:38 and I finished in 2:56:33! A significant difference! Now, I still had problems keeping my intervals through the end. I obviously "positive split"  - which is NOT a good thing (i.e. second half was slower than first); but my time was more consistent and I shaved 24 minutes off my previous half. I don't think that's a coincidence!

Intervals work. They work to help me (and others) maintain a pace they might not otherwise be able to maintain. They help you to train with less injury and to complete things like 4 half marathons even though you may not be able to run 13.1 miles without stopping. But, guess what?? - wow..I say that a lot! MANY people can't run 13.1 (or 26.2) without stopping. However, they don't plan intervals so they see it as a failure when they take a walk break. But, they are not failures. And, perhaps if they would put in planned walk breaks, they would be able to maintain a faster overall average pace. But, there is such a stigma with walk breaks. I can't even express how frustrating it is to listen to people ask me when I'm going to try to run the whole thing. Usually these are the people who don't run at all...and I want to ask them when they are going to go out to run a mile! And WHY do I let this get into my head?? Just because I do intervals and take planned walk breaks throughout the race doesn't make my crossing that finish line mean any less than anyone else. I still cross that finish line. I still get that medal and I still (sometimes) do it in a pace faster than people who went out planning to run the entire thing!

However, I still find myself trying to see how far I can run without stopping. I fall into the trap of the mental thinking that I'm not a "real" runner if I don't run without stopping. It's stupid. The other day I went to run on the treadmill and I decided to just run and see how far I could go. I ended up running 2 miles without stopping. That's good for me. However, I then took about a 3 minute walk break (I usually do 1-2 min walk breaks). I thought, if I could now run until I hit mile 4 that would be pretty cool. But, I couldn't...or didn't...whatever. I was tired. It felt harder than normal. I went to mile 3 and then cooled down and was done with my run for the night. But, my overall pace was slower than a run I had done in the past when I did consistent intervals! So, I'm going to work on getting out of my own head (I have a whole other post on that subject alone) and am going to continue with my intervals. I may change them (4/1 or 5/1 for short distances and 3/2 or 3/1 for longer distances), but I'm going to stick with what I know works. People can judge...that's fine...then they can come over and look at my display of medals from the MANY races I plan to complete.

I really need to update this picture since it now has 5 medals on it. I also plan to add many more medals to this over the years!

1 comment:

  1. Anyone who judges you from the comfort of his/her couch doesn't deserve the attention you give them. "Real runners" are probably less likely to judge you than couch potatoes. In fairness, however, there are many people who don't know the Jeff Galway method and are ASSUMING that you just aren't a strong runner...so educate them, and if they continue to judge, ignore them.

    So... make your plan and stick to it. The times will continue to decrease, perhaps not as quickly as you'd like.

    You know your entire family is behind you on this and truly impressed with your accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete