Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The Good and Bad of being more laid back......

Day 57...and still going.

It's been a while since I've checked in here with my progress. It's funny that I feel like I don't have much to talk about when I'm not weighing in once a week. In lots of ways I feel more relaxed, which is good and bad. Of course now that I'm writing a post I am thinking of PLENTY of things to discuss! ;)
No pics that go with the post, but I'll post these instead! :) 
The GOOD
I think because I'm not focusing SO much on my weight, I am allowing myself a little more freedom (but in a positive way). I'm taking the guilt out of losing weight. The way I see it is that my goal is to lose 5lbs in a month; if I have a few days where I'm just not feeling it, that's OK. I know I can lose 5lbs in a week if I REALLY want to. The key is to not go totally crazy and overboard so that I gain weight and have to actually lose more like 10-15lbs in a month to stay on track with my goals. But, I feel I've been doing that. There have been several days this month when I wasn't going to track. I allowed myself whatever I wanted (wine, fast food, whatever). But, the next day I decided to just track my food - just to see. Most times that I've done this I haven't gone that far over the calories that I burned that day. This is definitely progress.

The BAD
Of course there is always the bad side of feeling more relaxed. I find it funny that I posted on October 14th and said that I was going to wait until Nov. 1st to weigh in. Yea, the very next day I weighed myself. I decided that getting a half way check wasn't such a bad idea. The problem with it though? I was just sick for a couple days. One of those days I ate less than 500 calories and the 2nd day I think I maybe hit 1200. But, when I got on the scale on October 15th it read a number that was 6.4 lbs less than what I was on Oct. 1st! Obviously I was happy about this, but I also knew it wasn't totally accurate since I just hadn't really eaten for 2 days. Well, the bad was that I kind of let myself have a little too much freedom last week. I actually weighed myself again Monday morning to see what kind of "damage" I might have done. In reality it wasn't bad (in my opinion). I had "re-gained" 2.4lbs from that Oct 15th weigh in, but I was still down 4lbs from where I was Oct 1st. That's still progress and still only 1.2lbs away from my goal weight for the end of this month.
After Robbie's tough loss in the Championship game

And now we're back to the GOOD actually :) Because of the totally realistic weight loss goals, I did not stress at all when I saw the number on the scale. I decided that I was going to be as perfect as possible for the next few days before my "official" weigh in and see if I could meet my goal. And my goal is still just that 5lb loss (actually 5.2lb since I missed the previous months' goal by .2). I mean, of course I would LIKE to see the 6.4lb loss (or more) since I was there back on the 15th - but I'm truly not caring if I don't. I'm focused on meeting the goal I set out for myself 2 months ago. If I lose more great...but if I don't (even if I had in the middle of the month) that's OK too.

Tonight I started looking at my goals again. I had previously said that I wanted to lose 5lbs each month which would bring me to my goal weight right around my 40th birthday in 2017. Today I decided that my new goals are actually going to be based on 4 weeks and not necessarily one month. So, Oct 1st was a Thursday so my official weigh in's will be on Thursdays every 4 weeks. That means that this Thursday (the 29th) is my 2nd official weigh in. The goal is to be down 10lbs from where I started on Sept 1st. I am confident I will be there. And if I'm not I know I will weigh less than I did on Oct 1st...and that's all that really matters. BUT, with this new change in "official" weigh in dates it means that I should hit my goal weight by January 2017 - 2 months before my 40th birthday. And honestly I'm not even positive what my goal weight is going to be. I have a number in mind, but I realize that I might be perfectly fine a few pounds above that. I also realize that as I get smaller it is going to be more difficult to maintain the same rate of weight loss. However, I feel that as I continue to lose weight I will continue to increase my GOOD habits and decrease my not so good ones. Only time will tell. So far I'm liking the changes I'm making and am feeling more confident that I might actually succeed this time. Wow. Wouldn't THAT be nice!?!? ;)
Another sign of progress? I can actually stand to look at pics of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment