Monday, May 28, 2012

Lessons, Lessons and more Lessons!

First things first...Happy Memorial Day! I hope everyone had a great time today remembering the reason why we celebrate this wonderful day. Thank you to everyone who has served and will serve our wonderful Country!!

Ok...now back to our originally scheduled program!

So, the two main lessons I took from my first sprint tri was that I needed to upgrade my bike in some capacity and that I really would benefit from a Garmin. Check and check! I ever so convincingly talked my parents into buying me a Garmin for Christmas......

LOVE my Garmin...still haven't named her though.


Meet Skinny B (name compliments of my SIL)
............and started saving money every month from October to purchase a new bike. Come March, I was able to purchase Skinny B. The B being short for Bitch! I did not realize that I would learn yet another very important lesson after buying this bike. Apparently it is not uncommon to let a bike like this intimidate you! Or, perhaps it IS uncommon and people were just saying that to make me feel better! Either way, Skinny B and I have had a hard time getting to know eachother. I was having a hard time naming her and then I used the name "Killer" about her in a text to my sister in-law (need to think of a fancy nickname for her too, but for
now she'll just be SIL since she's the only one I have!). But, I decided in light of the fact that bikes CAN be dangerous, I didn't really want to jinx myself. My SIL came up with Skinny B, which I thought was rather appropriate...especially given the title of the blog! But I digress....

Bonding has been difficult with Skinny B. I bought her in March and I live in Ohio so it took a little bit of time to take her out. (of course, this year it was 80 degrees in March so I really had no excuse). After getting the courage up to take her out, our first ride abruptly ended when she dropped her chain within about .1 mile from my house. I walked the bike back home, feeling defeated and took it back to the bike shop. They fixed her right up and said that something was loose and it shouldn't happen (that easily) again.

Then, winter in Ohio came back and I took that opportunity to order the clip pedals and shoes (if I'm saying that wrong please don't be offended - I think I'm forever a newbie over here). This was a whole new reason to continue to be afraid of taking Skinny B out for a ride. Now, I had to worry about being clipped into the pedals and falling off the bike. Or worse yet, having an infamous "slow moving tip over"! The good news is that I was able to use the new shoes and clips pretty easily. I took her out for a couple of rides and didn't fall and her chain didn't drop or anything! I thought perhaps we were on better terms. Then, I had 14 miles on the training schedule last Wednesday. I didn't feel like going. I don't like to ride around my house because it's all 45 mph roads and it makes me nervous. But, I went to get on Skinny B and take her for a ride. Yea....right up until I experienced my first ever NO moving tip over!! I think this is even worse than a slow moving one! This was, I was getting on the bike and did something wrong and started tipping to the side where I was clipped in. It happened so quickly that I couldn't get unclipped and fell on my side....HARD! I decided this was my sign to NOT ride that day so I didn't. And guess what?? I have now not been on Skinny B since then. I had another 14 mile ride on the schedule for Saturday.....skipped it. I brought her to the trail today to ride after my 6 mile run....decided I was too hot and tired and didn't want to deal with parade traffic, etc.

So, apparently Skinny B and I are still struggling to connect. I'm sure it'll happen....eventually. I just hope it happens sooner rather than later because we have our first ever duathlon this Sunday! A good way to ease her into "racing"(I use that word lightly since it will never be a race with anyone but myself) with me. 2 mile run - 10 mile bike - 2 mile run. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck on Saturday. you'll be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you two will be fine now that you have "officially" named her ;) We should have taken some pictures this morning on our little run too....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! Skinny B may have won the battle but you will win the war!!!! I can wait to hear how this weekend goes!!! Good luck!!!! Team Kim!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds to me like Skinny B is a GUY!

    ReplyDelete