Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Hours

The theme in my life over the last few weeks months years has been there are not enough hours in the day. I know, we ALL feel this way, right? Well, I'm no exception and that's what I'm going to discuss today.

You all could gather from my first post that I have a family of two kids and a husband. Or, you already know that because the only people reading this blog know me in real life! So, yea, my kids are 8 and 5; I have a house; I work almost full time (32 hrs a week - close enough); and I try to do this thing called fitness and healthy eating. Oh yea....and then I went and started a blog because, you know, I needed something ELSE to do! Ugh. So, what gives when there aren't enough hours in a day?? You guessed it!! My eating and exercise. This is the problem.
Seriously....this is how I feel on the days when I feel like I can't handle one more thing. Like the thought of having to make something healthy is just too much work/time/annoyance. Why is this?? It's annoying and eating crappy does nothing to make me feel better or less stressed. Frankly, I feel more stressed because I just ate like shit simply because I was being lazy!

I actually think that when my eating is in control, I feel more in control. However, I would never DARE admit this! See, I'm a total control freak and there is this messed up part of my brain that believes the only way I'm in "control" of my eating is if I'm eating "what I want" (i.e. CRAP). But, that's really not true. I actually think that because I'm such a control freak in every other aspect of my life, I let my food take control over me! Wow! Mental breakthrough! This blog IS good for something! So, tomorrow is May 31st. I think that June 1st is IT. IT being the time that I finally get back on track. That I stop letting my food continue to control me and get things back under control. And I hope to be able to report good things to you all during this next month and beyond!

Ok. On a positive note. I have to say that I am very thankful for the type of job I have and especially the flexibility and freedom. I was able to spend my day today doing this:     
Chaperoning 23 2nd graders to an Indian's Game!


Because I work out of my home, I can put hours in at odd times in the day/night. Again, with those hours. So, today, my schedule went a little like this: wake up; shower; run (not literally, I actually drove) to Subway to get lunches for BOTH kids field trips today; come home; finish helping the kids get ready for school; get some work done; get kids on bus; eat breakfast; chaperone 2nd grade field trip to Indian's game (have a heart attack because trying to keep track of 23 kids at a ballpark is quite stressful); come home; go to an appointment for work; stop on the way home to get dinner (see - this is that food going by the wayside because there aren't enough hours); get home & eat dinner; continue working while hubby helps kids with baths and getting ready for bed; get yelled at by hubby to go ride Skinny B already; take Skinny B for a "quick" 9 mile ride; finish work; shower; watch TV while blogging.....phew!

So, I suppose my message is this...if I can find the time, many people can! Yes, I have tremendous support from my husband and I work in a position that allows me a little extra "freedom" in my work hours, but at the end of the day I figure it out and make it work for me. Do I sometimes fail? Absolutely. But, do I keep trying to fit everything in? Absolutely!

And with that, I'll leave you so I can go to bed! :)

Good night all....

Kim

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kim, it's friend of SIL. Maybe I'll get a nickname too! Forgot my google account so posting anonymously. Anyway, I can partially relate to this blog. Don't have kids so I don't have that kind of stress on the day (and am quite impressed by those who do juggle it all - e.g. you and miss SIL). What I do know is that we all waste so much time with worry. We worry about what we eat, what we didn't eat, the exercise we skipped, etc. It's all so silly! Sure, taking time to pick out and prepare healthy meals takes more time than picking something quick up (especially if you are making one meal for yourself and one for kids). But think of the time we all would save if we stopped worrying so much and just took the time to take care of ourselves. It's easier said than done, though, I know. So each day is a new day and a new start. Let June 1st be your new start day and if in a week you need another new start day, then so be it. Forgive yourself and be proud of everything you do. You rock out half marathons, compete in triathlons, work, help raise two pretty awesome kids, etc. I think that's pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You KNOW that Dad would say that you started the blog to give you one more opportunity to "TALK", right?

    I have to say that I'm enjoying the blog as a way to catch up on what you're thinking/feeling since we don't seem to find as much time to talk as we used to. Being a guy, he also doesn't see the cathartic value of writing...even if nobody reads it.

    I'm very proud of you and your accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete