Monday, April 24, 2017

Home Stretch

One week left in April!

I really can't believe I stayed off the scale this entire month. I feel like I've been eating a LOT this month, but my tracker tells me I'm still doing OK because most days I still had calories remaining. However, my calories have averaged right around 2000 calories/day this entire month! I was talking to my friend yesterday (while we were covering 12 miles) and I told her how I'm so curious to see what the scale will say next Monday. I have a level of "fear" that it'll be up because I feel like I've been eating so much this month. But, I decided that I'm not going to fear the scale on Monday. I have been tracking my food EVERY day this month so those days that I eat WAY more than I should (like Easter or days that I do my long run) are tracked. In the past I would have at least 1 or 2 days a week where I would maybe not actually track everything or I would just not track at all. So of course my calories those weeks averaged around 1500 or so (and actually a lot of those weeks were more like 1800-1900 average), but if I would have tracked those higher calorie days my average calories over the week would certainly have increased.

This month is my experiment of sorts. If I actually lost weight perhaps I will FINALLY believe that I can just trust the process. If I gained weight or even maintained my weight, then I will know that I can't sustain 2000 calories/day and still lose weight regardless of the amount of activity I am doing. So really this month will give me some answers and will hopefully put my obnoxious mind at ease.

Having said all that; I will tell you a little secret.......I already know I've lost weight this month! WHAAAAAAATTTT?!?!?! But, I've been being SO good about not getting on the scale! Well, I didn't get on my scale.

After my run yesterday I decided it was time to go see my doctor regarding what is probably exercise induced asthma. I once again had a run where I was unable to continue my intervals due to the fact that I couldn't breathe. I ended up walking pretty much the entire last mile because I could NOT get my breathing under control and therefore could not get my heart rate to come down. Anyway, so I went to the doctor this morning. I had to have a lot of self-talk last night in preparation for what that scale might say (the same type of self-talk I would have had prior to weighing myself on May 1st). The saving grace about today was that I still have this week before my "official" May 1st weigh in.
My sleep pattern NEVER looks like this! Apparently running 12 miles does wonders for my sleep! 
What's kind of funny is that I've been going crazy this month about not getting on the scale, but in reality I've been weighed twice. April 3rd I had a follow up appointment with my Crohn's doc so I had to get on the scale then. This morning I had the appointment with my primary care doc (who did give me a script for an inhaler and also scheduled me for a pulmonary function test). The difference of weight between the April 3rd doc visit and today's??? 3.1 pounds!! Let me tell you how excited I am about that!

**side note: I only compare doc office weights to other doc office weights. I have no idea what my scale would have said this morning in terms of weight loss from what my scale said April 1st. I ALMOST used this as an excuse to get on my scale today, but I resisted that urge!**

Now, some people may look at 3lbs in the course of 3 weeks and be disappointed. At some point in my journey I would have TOTALLY been one of those people. I mean, I can lose 3 (or more) pounds in a WEEK. However, when I'm losing 3, 4, 5 pounds in a week I can guarantee you I'm not eating 2000+ calories per day. Losing an average of 1 pound a week is nothing to be mad about. It still means 52 pounds in a year.

Time for the home stretch. The goal this week will be to not only stay the course, but to be a little more strict with my food choices/calories so that I can be even more excited about the scale on Monday!
This picture has nothing to do with today's blog post but I absolutely love it! My dad and my son watching my daughter's track meet the other day. 💗


No comments:

Post a Comment