Monday, July 9, 2012

Best Laid Plans....

The title makes it sound like this is going to be yet another depressing, negative post. But it's NOT!

First things first...I hope everyone had a wonderful 4th! We had a blast (pun intended) at Blossom Music Center dodging the storm and then seeing the fireworks anyway since the storm passed in time!

OK. To report my planned week of exercise vs. what was actually completed.....

 Day               Planned                                  Actual
July 1            Brick 15 bike/4 run               COMPLETED!
July 2            REST                                    COMPLETED
July 3            Run 3-4/swim                        Treadmill 3.5...walk to 4.
July 4            Bike 25                                  Bike 22
July 5            Run 3-4 miles                       Treadmill 3 miles
July 6           Open Water Swim                COMPLETED
July 7           Bike 20                                  REST

So, I'm pretty happy with these results. Here's the little explanation that goes with it. Tuesday, the plan was to run 3-4 in the morning and swim on my way home from work. Well, I got up and ran before work, which was a huge accomplishment! Then, the storms came. The pool I swim at does not let you swim (even though it's indoors) if it's thunder/lightening. Since it was storming when I could go, I decided that I would skip the swim and just double up on Thursday. Then, on Thursday I just didn't...and I was OK with it. By Thursday I was feeling the fatigue in my legs. Thankfully I received my very first pair of compression socks this week so I tried them out!
Wow...is it just me or does this picture make my calves look huge and my feet look tiny?!?!
I had pretty much decided at this point that I would probably not ride on Saturday morning since I had already completed 2 rides and 37 miles this week. Then, my body had other plans to be sure that I rested on Saturday....I didn't sleep at all Friday night because I was having severe stomach pains! Not fun. So, not only did I rest on Saturday, but I also skipped my 14 mile run on Sunday! :(

Today I continue to "rest" as I prep for another colonoscopy (fun stuff!)....oh yea...for those of you who don't already know, I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease shortly after my son was born in 2006.  I just recently got over a pretty bad flare (for me) and that's why I am now getting another colonoscopy.

A short post today....I leave you with my workout schedule for this week:

July 8 - Run 14 (obviously we know how this turned out)
July 9 - REST
July10 - Run 3-4/Swim
July 11 - REST
July 12 - Bike 20
July 13 - Run 3
July 14 - Bike 20

I'm thinking it's a good thing that I had planned 2 rest days this week. My focus right now is simply on getting all my workouts in (as long as my body is cooperating). When this becomes enough habit again, I'm going to focus on my diet. The last 2 days have helped, I guess. I didn't eat much at all on Saturday because I didn't feel good....then yesterday I had to fast most the day and today I can't eat until after my procedure, which isn't scheduled until 1PM! I'm starving as a type this so all bets are off with what I eat for dinner tonight! But, I'm hoping these 3 days of lower calorie days will help get me back on track with my eating too! The good news?? When I got on the scale this morning it was down 3.6 from last Monday! I know why....and I don't care! :) I'm hoping that I can at least maintain that loss next week!

I hope that everyones Monday is better than mine is today! :) Of course, that's not saying much when you're comparing whatever it is you are doing to what my plans are for today! :P

1 comment:

  1. You certainly have gotten your rest in the last few days...being sick on Saturday [thinking your body was telling you something] and spending hours in a hospital bed waiting for your colonoscopy! You sure do know how to have a good time.

    Another thing that makes your workout accomplishments for last week impressive is that you were doing it in near record heat each day!

    Glad you have another day of rest scheduled in this week. You need to be cautious not to over do now that you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete